There were lots of comments this week about how hearing an author like Ishmael Beah read his book was a new experience for you. This link from YouTube shows Ishmael reading excerpts at another presentation he did.
I've been to many readings at writing workshops and book signings over the years and it is very common for the author to read a few passages from the book. For me, it changes those passages especially, because I no longer hear my own voice in my head or whatever fictional voices I've come up with as I read the book. In a way, it overlaps the two experiences: I remember reading it and I remember the author reading it. It deepens the experience somehow.
I also find that seeing a film of a book changes how I "hear" and "see" the story as I read it. The Harry Potter series is a good example. I saw three of the films before I read any of the books. So when I sat down a couple of summers ago and read the entire series (right before the last book was released), I "saw" the scenes and "heard" the dialogue with those actors in my head. Harry Potter, for me, will always be Daniel Radcliffe. When I read Hermione's dialogue in the books, I hear it in Emma Watson's voice. Dumbledore is a little trickier, since the original actor, Richard Harris, was a favorite of mine, but I tend to hear Michael Gambon's voice in the later books.
I've heard J.K. Rowlings do her midnight readings when each book is released, but the films override the author's voice for me.
What do you think?
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment