Is multiculturalism something we as a writing community value? Can we express it as a value that means something to us?
After reading the current versions of Project 1 and talking with many of you about your ideas, I know that some people are struggling with what specific ideas they want to write about. Multiculturalism and diversity are huge topics and it can be daunting to try to find something that is relevant to you and that you are interested in exploring. That's why we've read, discussed and wrote about a variety of pieces that others have written. That's why I asked you to attend a multicultural activity. These are all idea-starters -- ways to prick your imagination, to get you to consider diversity as something more than just a big idea or ideal that others talk about.
After reading the current versions of Project 1 and talking with many of you about your ideas, I know that some people are struggling with what specific ideas they want to write about. Multiculturalism and diversity are huge topics and it can be daunting to try to find something that is relevant to you and that you are interested in exploring. That's why we've read, discussed and wrote about a variety of pieces that others have written. That's why I asked you to attend a multicultural activity. These are all idea-starters -- ways to prick your imagination, to get you to consider diversity as something more than just a big idea or ideal that others talk about.
Still, the ultimate question is: So? What does this have to do with me? What Project 1 asks of you is to be willing to try and find an answer to that question. Not the big answer to the world, but what one aspect of diversity might affect your life and the communities you live in or hope to live and work in?
As we've learned, multiculturalism is something that is considered an important value by at least some people on the campus of Ball State. Part of the history of multiculturalism at BSU dates back more than 30 years. The same day in 1968 that the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was shot in Atlanta, Robert F. Kennedy made a campaign stop on our campus as part of his run for president. The younger brother of the 35th president, John F. Kennedy, who was assassinated five years earlier, RFK continued to serve as U.S. Attorney General under President Lyndon Johnson. Then he was elected as a U.S. senator from New York. By the time he arrived on BSU's campus the afternoon of April 4, Bobby Kennedy had split with Johnson over the Vietnam War and was the Democratic Party's front-runner for the presidential nomination.
Bracken Library has an extensive online collection of photographs, news coverage, audio and video clips from RFK's speech at BSU. We'll take a look at an excerpt from the video in class, but I was also interested in how the old footage has been mashed with a song from Coldplay for a YouTube video posted above.
Later the day that RFK appeared at Ball State, Dr. King was assassinated in Atlanta. Three months after that, Bobby Kennedy was assassinated after delivering a speech to supporters who helped him win the California presidential primary.
Are their legacies relegated to history and a once-a-year day off from classes, or are they still relevant to college students today?
Is your answer to the question: what does multiculturalism have to do with me?" a simple "nothing" or "who cares?" If so, research that topic and make a case for it.
If, however, it is something that is part of your community, what small piece of multiculturalism can you explore in 1,000 words for Project 1?
For Monday's class, Feb. 8, I'm asking you to bring something visual from one of your communities...an example of how the community expresses a value it holds. I chose the RFK collection because I think it shows that BSU values its history, especially history that connects to important national events. I'll be writing about that for Project 2. One of the things you might do with your blog this week is to post your visual example and begin writing about it.
Is your answer to the question: what does multiculturalism have to do with me?" a simple "nothing" or "who cares?" If so, research that topic and make a case for it.
If, however, it is something that is part of your community, what small piece of multiculturalism can you explore in 1,000 words for Project 1?
For Monday's class, Feb. 8, I'm asking you to bring something visual from one of your communities...an example of how the community expresses a value it holds. I chose the RFK collection because I think it shows that BSU values its history, especially history that connects to important national events. I'll be writing about that for Project 2. One of the things you might do with your blog this week is to post your visual example and begin writing about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment